Over 2018 and 2019 we have seen incredible success in working with alopecia across the globe. Here’s sharing some of the best practices, observations, and methods that we have used:
First understand, before you jump in for complicated treatments, fix the root cause and that’s your gut, hormones, brain function, mind, deficiencies and lifestyle.
There are three types of alopecia: 1. Loss of hair in patches 2. Balding, and 3. Thinning
In all types of alopecia, the hair follicle is still alive and just awaiting the right signal to re-grow. In most cases it is an autoimmune disorder where your own immune system is attacking the hair follicles. There is a breakdown in communication, hence the wrong signalling. The breakdown in communication is caused by -Chronic stress, poor diet, lack of sleep, lack of exercise, hormonal imbalance, too many chemical and hair treatments.
Telogen Effluvium– is a reversible condition where hair falls out after a stressful incident or event (child birth, serious illness, chronic emotional stress, surgery). Stress puts hair follicles in a resting phase and they usually fall out after a few months. Here deep breathing, pranayama, yoga, exercise and good sleep, along with addressing the stress, will help reverse this.
Top most effective remedies and lifestyle changes for managing hair fall, hair thinning and baldness:
- Rosemary oil: 4-5 drops mixed with a carrier oil like coconut or sesame. Apply on the patches where the hair is less or bald.
- Garlic gel caps or fresh garlic juice: Apply and leave for 1 hour and wash (can mix with raw honey)
- Onion juice: Apply and leave for 1 hour and wash (can mix with raw honey)
- Coconut oil: Massage and leave overnight in the hair. Wash out next day – 2-3 times a week
- Raw lemon juice: Apply for 15 minutes before bath
- Aloe Vera (pure or chemical free gel) – Apply for 1 hour and then wash
- Fresh coconut milk or chemical free hair packs that contain coconut
- Head and scalp massage with coconut or jojoba oil
- Omega 3 supplement (veg or non veg)
- Biotin (Vitamin B7)
- B complex supplement
- Vitamin E, A, B12
- Iron rich foods or a supplement (under professional guidance)
- Zinc rich foods or a supplement (under professional guidance)
- Sufficient protein in diet (please do not overdo)
- Dried curry leafy powder mixed with coconut oil and massage
- Fenugreek (methi) seed powder mixed with mustard oil and apply (remedy in detail below)
- Raw egg (white and yolk) – Apply and leave for 1 hour, followed by washing.
- Work on gut health (food habits, pre and pro -biotics)
- Ensure no bloating, acidity, constipation (watch video on gut health – shared below)
- Visualize head full of healthy and beautiful hair every night before you sleep
- Believe that it will grow back
Note: You do not have to do all of the above. Try 1-2 remedies at a time and do not confuse yourself and your body
Although what’s mandatory is:
- Good wholesome diet
- Regular exercise
- Quality sleep
- Emotional detox or stress address.
- See what works for you from the above suggestions and be consistent with that.
- Check with your doctor always before starting anything new.
- Medical tests can also help reveal a lot and find the root cause. Basic medical tests:
- Thyroid (TSH, t3, t4, anti TPO and ATG)
- Liver profile
- Kidney profile
- Iron and Haemoglobin
Remember! First try natural as it’s an inside out approach. If you need steroids etc, listen to your doctor, but know that it’s only suppressing your symptom and you still need to correct deficiencies and address poor lifestyle.
Recommended videos and blogs:
- Magic hair oil mix : http://www.lukecoutinho.com/blog/lifestyle-en/magic-hair-oil-mix-to-halt-premature-greying-hair-fall-dandruff-and-lustreless-hair/
- How to Boost Your Digestive Healthhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJ5OWSOqmI&t=1s
- Thyroid, Hashimotos & Hormonal Balancehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mSqShQU6W4
- An Easy & Simple Homemade Probiotic – RICE KANJI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Us_sU8YSf8
- A Simple Lifestyle Change for Your Digestive Health – CHEWING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGC_AP0dB3c
- Food & Lifestyle Changes to Improve Digestionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=564oLCvQNR0
– Luke Coutinho