- 300g Apricots
- 3/4 cup Water
- 150g Organic jaggery
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp-soaked chia seeds.
- 1/2 tsp sri lankan rolled cinnamon powder
- Cut apricots and boil them in water on slow burner.
- Once it turns gelatinous, add chia seeds, cinnamon powder and turn off the gas. Let it cool.
- Add lemon juice, stir and put it in the freezer till it sets.
- Transfer the set mix in a clean and dry glass bottle.
- Jam is ready!
The texture and consistency of the jam will depend on the way you cut the fruit. If you leave large chunks of fruit, you will have a preserve with pieces of fruit. If you desire a smoother jam – pulse the fruits in the food processor before you start making the jam.
- Typically, natural pectin or added powdered pectin, is the compound that thickens jams. However, fruits like apricots have natural pectin and chia seeds adds on more pectin.
- The chai seeds work similarly to added pectin by absorbing moisture to thicken watery mixture and is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Apricots are loaded with antioxidants and potassium.
- Apricots are gut friendly too.
- The jam can be relished with chapatis, sourdough slices, crackers, toppings in desserts or as is.
DOWNLOAD PDF: Apricot-Chia-Jam