- Moong dal / yellow lentil Dal 50 gms
- Beaten rice Milled 100 gms
- Water 4 cups
- Pink salt to taste
- Ghee 1 tbsp (A2 organic)
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Pepper corns 1/4 tsp
- Grated dry coconut 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves few
- Cashew nuts 1/2 cup (soaked for 5-6 hrs)
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery 1 tsp (organic)
- Boil 5 cups water in a cooker, put the yellow dal and cook until one whistle.
- Now rinse the beaten rice, drain off the water and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry leaves, cashew nuts, turmeric powder and jaggery .
- Add the dry grated coconut and stir. Now add the rinsed beaten rice, salt and continue stirring it till semi solid consistency.
- Serve with chutney.
- It is a light recipe and can be prepared quickly for lunch or dinner.
- Soaking dal for 14 -16 hours makes it easier to digest and hastens cooking process .
- The combination of beaten rice and moong dal makes a complete protein and a balanced dish.
- What’s more? This khara pongal recipe is a perfect melange of nutrition, taste and suitable for all ages .