Unfortunately, the pollution levels are beyond scary and dangerous. What we can do at this point is, detox our lungs and help the body expel toxins through simple methods. Sharing a simple detox plan (as well as a video) that you and your family should get on as soon as possible.(Additional note : Its usually the best to rely on whole foods as much as possible, but since the situation is so bad and if you have a lot of congestion in the lungs, your kids too, you should get ‘ bromelain’ which is pineapple extract. It helps improve respiratory function and congestion due to build up of mucus and toxins. Its surely worth a try. )
– PREVIOUS NIGHT :
Soak 1 tbsp fenugreek (methi) seeds in half cup water
– ON THE DAY OF CLEANSE :
– Wake up to 250ml warm water with lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper. (just a dash!)
– Drink the fenugreek water and chew on the seeds.
– 10 mins later – 2 cloves of garlic crushed and consume with 1 tbsp raw organic honey or manuka honey.
– Steam Time:
-Boil some water, pour it into a large bowl, add 5-10 drops of pure eucalyptus oil or 1 drop peppermint oil, cover your head with a towel and do steam inhalation for 5 mins. Gentle, deep inhalations and slow exhalations.
– 300 ml fresh carrot juice with 1 tsp pure cold pressed virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and 1/4th tsp black pepper into it .
– Magic Lung Breathing Exercise, post 1-2 hour of breakfast:
– Procedure :
- Take a standing position. Keep your arms at your sides and your feet slightly apart. Relax.
- Take a few deep breaths and exhale through the nose.
- Now breathe in through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth until you cannot exhale anymore. But do not stop here, because there is still air remaining in your lungs. Some of the air remains in the lungs and is not replaced as we breathe. ( called as residual air)
- Now, force your diaphragm to exhale all the air from your lungs with wheezing. Exhale through the mouth several times with a “ho, ho, ho, ho” until you feel there is no more air in the lungs. At this point you will feel you have pulled in your belly towards the spine.
- Through the nose, slowly inhale fresh, clean air in your empty lungs. Fill your lungs with air completely, and then hold your breath for 6 seconds, counting them slowly. At this point, the oxygen has filled your lungs.
- Again exhale through your mouth until there is no air left in your lungs and repeat the “ha…ha…” to expel the stale air out of the lungs.
- Repeat the whole procedure as many times as you like. Besides purifying the lungs, this exercise has another benefit: Your stomach will eventually become strong and toned and your skin will look radiant with a glow as you have helped remove excess carbon dioxide.
– Magic Lung Tea :
Post breathing exercise prepare a liter of the following concoction and have one cup (warm) :
- 1 inch piece ginger /1 tsp dried ginger powder,
- 1 small cinnamon stick / 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder ( ceylon cinnamon only)
- 1⁄2 tsp basil/tulsi leaves (fresh/dry)
- 1 tsp oregano dry(or fresh leaves)
- 3 pepper corns
- 2 crushed elaichi
- (optional- 1 to 2 garlic cloves-crushed)
- 1/4th tsp fennel seeds
- pinch of ajwain
- 1/4th tsp jeera (cumin seeds).
Boil for 10 minutes, let it simmer. Then strain and sip warm (can add raw organic honey or jaggery to sweeten it up).
-MID-MORNING (only if hungry):
-1 fruit ( preferably Pineapple as the bromelain content helps loosen up mucus) topped with 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds (the seeds can be soaked over-night to get rid of the anti-nutritional factors)
– LUNCH: as usual ( simple and balanced )
– 30 mins post lunch : 250 ml lemon water with dash of cayenne pepper
– EVENING (2 – 2.5 hours after lunch)
– 300 ml fresh carrot juice with 1 tsp cold pressed virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and 1⁄4 tsp black pepper and a few drops of lemon, along with the evening snack-
– 30 mins later:
Magic Lung Breathing Exercise followed by cup of Magic Lung Tea ( explained above)
–Later, go for a light walk or yoga.
– 30 mins before dinner : 250 ml lemon water with cayenne pepper.
– DINNER – as usual ( simple, balanced and light) + 300 ml carrot juice as given above,
– 30 minutes post dinner: one more cup of Magic Lung Tea.
– Steam time :
1 hour before bed – steam with 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil for 5 minutes.
– Castor oil pack :
Post that, go for a Castor Oil Pack or Rub (details below)-
- Get a good quality castor oil ( cold pressed)
- Warm a cup of it. Soak a flannel in it and squeeze it.
- Place it over the chest/lung area for 20 to 30 mins.
- You can use a heat pad over it, if needed.
- This helps to loosen the chest mucous.
- You can also rub warm castor oil deeply and gently into your chest area and lie down and then put 2-3 drops of the oil in your belly button/navel area and rub some oil within 1 to 2 inch perimeter around the belly button and let it be there. It will soak in automatically.
– Before bed :
-Repeat the Magic Lung Breathing Exercise, Meditate and Sleep well .
1.Can the lung detox be done by anyone?
Yes, our lungs are constantly exposed to the toxic pollutants accumulated in our environment and many a times, we don’t realize these pollutants are burdening our lungs and slowing them down. Therefore, our lungs need this detox and it can be done by anyone. In fact, it should be done by everyone!
- I’m a Jain and we don’t have carrot, can I replace it with anything else?
Carrots are a significant part of the lung detox as they possess some peculiar properties that are meant to off load the lungs. It is irreplaceable in this case. However, you can avoid the carrot juice and do a green vegetable juice instead. Don’t miss adding the coconut oil and the black pepper into it. That’s important for the lungs too. Please follow the rest of the cleanse as it is.
- How often can we do this cleanse?
It can be done once a week or once in 15 days. If you have any respiratory disorder like Asthma, COPD, bronchitis, etc. then doing it once a week would be of great benefit.
- What if the carrots are not in the season?
You can use the regular orange carrots that are widely available throughout the year. Best to get the organic ones. Wash them with hot water using apple cider vinegar liquid before juicing.
- Do we have to mix garlic with honey or have both the things separately?
Mixing would be better as it will make the garlic palatable.
- What strength of Manuka honey is advised?
Manuka honey of 12/15 UMF is advisable as they are effective against wide range of resistant bacteria.
- Can we switch castor oil or eucalyptus oil with something else?
No, better to stick to castor oil & eucalyptus/peppermint oil as they have specific effects in the cleanse process. If we change the oils, the purpose will not be met.
- Will the magic tea increase heat in the body?
The purpose of magic tea is to produce a little heat in the body and loosen up the mucus at the same time improve your immunity.
- Can I have dairy products like yoghurt during the cleanse?
No, we go off dairy and off gluten completely during the cleanse. So no milk/yoghurt/buttermilk/paneer and no wheat/rye/barley (gluten grains) too ad these foods can trigger mucous production . So is the case with refined sugar, corn, soy and fried food .
- Is it okay to use the red chilli pepper instead of cayenne pepper?
No, we need to use the cayenne pepper as it serves a specific purpose in this cleanse. It helps break down and move the congested mucous, thus cleaning up the lungs. Don’t replace it with anything else.
- I cannot chew the fenugreek seeds. Can I just powder them and add it to my juice?
Yes, that can be done. Equally effective.
- What are the after-effects of this cleanse?
You may cough a bit as the mucous comes up to the top which needs to be evacuated. All the bacterial pathogens come out of it. You will feel lighter and will notice that you are breathing better the next day. At times,some may feel a slight burning sensation after this cleanse (due to lot of pepper, garlic), but it settles down in a day or two. Make sure you drink adequate water to keep your body cool.
- Any age-limit for doing this cleanse?
Not really. It can be done by individuals of all the age groups. Kids below 12 years may find it tough. It can be comfortably done by people beyond 12 to 14 years of age.
- Should I be drinking extra water during this cleanse?
Stick to the regular water recommendation of 2.5 to 3 liters.
- Can I continue taking my regular medicines or supplements?
Yes, all the supplements and medicines can be continued during the cleanse. All the best ! Stay safe and share as much as you can ( particularly across Delhi ) , so most people can benefit from this simple detox.
– Luke Coutinho